I’ve worked in a 25 lawyer firm and a 4 lawyer firm. Seeing the big and the small, I have a sense of the pros and cons of each. Why am I on my own? Here are the pros and cons from my viewpoint:
- Financial independence: I worry about just my bills, my own invoices and not whether the staff is getting paid enough to support their families
- Lawyers are jerks: It frankly is really hard to find lawyers who I like, let alone ones I would be in business within the Hugo and White Bear Lake area
- Control: I control my day (sort of). I can be in at 6:00 am and gone at 2 without a business partner giving me dirty looks. I can take a day off and not give anybody advance notice. You get the idea.
- The office lottery pool doesn’t help me much.
- There’s never a day when someone surprises me with donuts in the kitchen.
- Either I water the plants or they die. So far I haven’t killed a plant.
- I’m not great at technology, so some of that type of stuff takes me a while to cure.
All in all the Pros well outweigh the cons. I’m on my own for the foreseeable future and that’s just fine by me.
The material contained herein is provided for informational purposes only and is not legal advice, nor is it a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney. Each situation is unique, and you should not act or rely on any information contained herein without seeking the advice of an experienced attorney. All information contained in links are the property of the linked site.